You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
[supposedly] been cast out. Larson describes the causes of such disorders and how he learned to speak to different identities within a person. He was dealing with a person who had alternate personalities called “Facilitator” and “Regulator.” Larson theorized that in this person demons could possess an “alter.” Larson explains: In the realm of multiple personalities, there are good alters and bad alters. Good alters are the part of the person’s consciousness that has acknowledged Christ as Savior. Bad, alters, for one reason or another, refuse to make that spiritual surrender. This complex situation leads to the following action for the spiritual technician: “Our task is to sort through the maze to gain the assistance of the good alters. Then we can attempt to win the bad alters to God.” Larson proceeded to have the alternate personality within his client help him identify the “dark ones” and went through an incredibly complex task of sorting out the demons and “alters” within this person.
“He even leads [the demon] “Facilitator” to Christ. Larson uncovers hidden memories, legal ground that the demons had, [through sin,] and the names of obscure demons. This is one prayer he used to help the victim find freedom:
“I command that angels of God search out and torment the spirit of pain. I bind Pain to Regulator the demon, and command that both of them experience all the torment they’ve put on Randall.
“I increase that torment seven times greater.”
Even people with superficial knowledge of the Scriptures can see that these practices are from the occult and great violations of God’s clear commandments. Deut. 18:10-14, “There shall not be found among you ANYONE who… practices witchcraft… or a medium, or a spiritist, [who calls up, and speaks to spirits to gain information from them,] or one who [pretends] to call up the dead, [because the dead knows nothing of this life anymore; these are evil spirits pretending to be human spirits; Eccl. 9:5-6.] For ALL who do these things are an abomination to the Lord…” Scripturally and in practice, no one except God Himself, can command His holy angels. Holy angels are obedient to God Alone. Moreover, no human being has the right, authority, or power to torment anyone – especially not spiritual beings! Bob Larson, his ‘spiritual warfare’ team and all their affiliates are very dangerous people, assuming blasphemously God’s own authority and Supreme judgment over His creation and in particular, over holy and fallen angels. In the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord, may all true believers FLEE from them as they tender for their eternal lives!
THE BROKEN, CONFUSED, AND TRULY BOUND CARNAGE OF THESE ‘EXPERTS’
My own ‘deliverance’ experience
I had the immense privilege to have been God’s instrument in the lives of broken people for most of the 28 years that I serve Him. At first, without any guidance except that which I received from such ‘deliverance ministries’ myself, I also bought into many of their twisting of Scripture and other deceptions, although by the grace of God, I never went to the modern ‘deliverance’ extremes, which we witness today. I have confessed all transgressions of God’s Word as sin and asked His forgiveness and cleansing through the blood covenant of Jesus Christ, as over the last few years God has been bringing me to His true Word concerning ‘deliverance,’ so that I can understand His Real Truth and also help others to ‘know the truth, as the TRUTH will set [us all completely and eternally] free.’
My path to freedom from these ‘deliverance’ lies began as I eventually realized that my own ‘deliverance experience’ did nothing to free me from the presence of a threatening dark entity, which constantly haunted me since shortly after I gave my life to the Lord. It was quite some time after I was supposedly ‘ministered to,’ that I ‘dreamt’ I was wrestling with a very strong, dark man. As I woke, he rolled off the bed and went to stand at the foot-end of the bed. I rebuked him in the Name of Jesus, but he did not move. I ‘pleaded the blood of Jesus,’ but he did not move. And then, the Holy Spirit took control. I spontaneously flung my arms in the air and began to praise God out loud. Suddenly, a ‘lightning bolt’ shot into the room – and he was gone. I believe God sent a mighty angel to remove him from me. I do not know where he came from and why he harassed me for so long before God took him away. What I do know, is that he did NOT live in me; not in my mind or anywhere in my body. I believe he was sent by Satan to scare me into turning back to my old life, (as I was, at the time, as a new-born baby in the Kingdom of God, experiencing immense persecution from all sides,) knowing that I had God’s calling on my life. God allowed it all to test my loyalty to Him.
Besides this miraculous experience with the Only Deliverer, Jesus Christ, I also witnessed so much of the catastrophic chaos in churches, the humiliation and maltreatment of people in need, and the fact that nearly all the same people, who were delivered last week, were back the following week, while their problems constantly mounted. I began to seriously doubt that such a thing as a ‘deliverance ministry’ exists, and turned wholeheartedly to Jesus’ truth. The truth that can and will never fail us, because He Himself said, “You will know the truth [of My Word and power, and of your particular situation,] and the TRUTH shall set you free.” Today, twenty-five or more years later, God, in His infinite grace, is still sending broken, utterly confused people to me. People, often devoid of any Scriptural truth and polluted with so many false prophesies, dangerous deliverance techniques, and outright lies about Scripture, that only Jesus Christ Himself can put these broken, (said with respect to all those who are victims of these spiritual butchers,) Humpty Dumpties together again.
What about the supernatural experiences of those, who were supposedly ‘delivered?’
There can be no doubt that something supernatural is going on here. Scripturally and practically, God certainly does supernatural things through the almighty power of His Holy Spirit — and of course, the supernatural ministry of His holy angels, who are always under His direct command and never under ours. Nevertheless, we place ourselves in grave spiritual, emotional and physical danger if we disobey God’s clear commandment never to accept any spiritual teaching or manifestation at face value. (1 Ths. 5:21; 1 Jn. 1:1-4.)
We must “test and prove” everything to “see whether they are from God,” or from the devil, who usually turns himself into an angel of light to deceive the unwary and disobedient, and to gain a foothold in their lives, (2 Cor. 11:3-15.) By believing false doctrine and accepting false spirits, our “minds can [actually be so] corrupted… [That,] if one preaches another [false] Jesus… or if we receive another [false holy spirit,] or another [false] gospel, we may very well put up with it!” (Gal. 1:6-10; 3:1.) This is why we can safely say that, due to their extreme abuse of Scripture to justify their unscriptural practices, these so-called ‘deliverers’ are not under the control of the Holy Spirit of the Bible, and they are not ‘commanding’ God’s holy angels. There is only one other spiritual alternative.
They are using the power of strange spirits on unwary believers. Additionally, they can also be using physiological techniques, which might seem supernatural to their ‘patients,’ but which is actually pure ‘mind over matter.’ For instance, the ‘power of suggestion’ and the ‘placebo effect’ are very real. We can make ourselves believe anything, once we fall under the spell of illusionists and believe they possess special supernatural power. Hence, Paul wrote in Gal. 3:1, “O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth…”
IF DELIVERANCE MINISTRIES WERE REAL, WHY ARE NEARLY ALL THEIR PRACTICES AND TEACHINGS IN CONFLICT WITH THE TRUTH OF SCRIPTURE?
To say for sure if these ‘ministries’ are from the True God of the Bible or not, we have to look in the light of “all Scripture,” at the lives that they touched; their gross ‘spiritual’ misconduct, [even physically assaulting people,] other unscriptural practices, which they call ‘the work of the holy Spirit,’ and their gross twisting and abuse of God’s Holy Word, which Paul called “accursed witchcraft,” (Ps. 119:160; Gal. 1:6-10; 3:1.)
· A clear example of their twisting of Scripture to justify their ‘ministries.’ Just look at ONE example of what these teachers taught us. (I also fell for this clever deception in the beginning.) They teach afflicted people that their born again human spirits are clean, but their souls or minds are filled with demonic strongholds, where demons dwell and which have to be cast out, right? This is wrong, because the marvellous Word of God actually says that deceptions can be erected in the minds (or thoughts) of born again saints – not because demons can live there in ‘fortified castles,’ but because our thoughts or beliefs still have to be ‘changed’ or constantly “renewed” from believing the deceptions we were taught in the kingdom of darkness, to knowing the perfect will of God, (Rom. 12:1-2; 1 Pt. 1:13-19.)
· This is how they most dangerously twist the Word of God into a lie. In 2 Cor. 10:4-6, Paul nullifies the claims of these deceivers, as he never even suggested that we must cast out demons from our physical brains or minds – because even if demons were living there, demons would still not be the real problem. We ourselves, by choosing to believe a lie or continue in other types of sin, caused the problem, and we also continue to nurture the problem if we do not repent. Paul actually wrote, “Our weapons are… mighty in God for pulling down [not casting out!] strongholds. [How do we pull down these strongholds of the devil?] By casting down [not casting out!] arguments [not demons!] and every high [deception] that exalts itself against the [liberating, redeeming truth or] knowledge of God, bringing every thought [NOT DEMON!] into captivity to the obedience of Christ and being ready to rebuke all disobedience… [which keeps us from obeying Christ.] It was for the purpose of “casting down false arguments” that Jesus commanded us to “know the truth,” for the truth of His Real Word will set us free!
· All sinful beliefs or thoughts were not automatically changed when true believers were “called out” or removed from the kingdom darkness and brought spiritually into God’s Kingdom of Light through the Scriptural rebirth, (1 Pt. 2:9-10; Jn. 1:12-13; 3:3-5.) Therefore, spiritually born again believers still have to “be transformed by the renewal of their minds, or actually, the renewal of their thoughts,” not “conformed to the [religious] world,” which is merely believing church doctrines that make people into spiritually dead church members, (Rom. 12:1-2.)
· Long before true believers decided to accept and follow Jesus personally, (Jn. 1:12-13,) the Holy Spirit was already speaking His truth into their thoughts so that they could recognize deceptions and other disobedience to Scripture, and clearly distinguish between Real Biblical Truth, lies, and twisted truth. (The work of the Holy Spirit is to “lead us into ALL truth,” which He will continue throughout our lives on earth IF we allow Him to lead us, and IF we follow Him obediently.) And so, in the beginning, as we began to choose to obey His voice, He convinced us of sin, righteousness, and ultimately, judgment, should we not obey Him and repent from the deceptions, which keep us away from God, (Jn. 16:7-11.) That is why many sinful beliefs already fell long before we could decidedly accept Jesus' truth and be saved. However, those beliefs, which WE ourselves sinfully choose to keep because they suit us in different ways, Paul called “strongholds” (or deceptions) that can keep our thoughts in bondage to the devil, even while we are living in God’s Kingdom of Light. Not because demons live in the brains, or minds (souls) of sincere believers, but because we have given him permission to capture our thoughts by erecting deceptions in our minds; filling our thoughts with garbage from every corner of the globe. Of course, it is vital that we ourselves, in the leading and power of the Holy Spirit and the real truth of God’s Word, work continually at CASTING DOWN all deceptions in our minds, which actually have the power, if left in control of our thoughts, to lead us, by our own choice, back into the kingdom of darkness.
· A completely new life has dawned for all those who decided to choose Jesus as their personal Life, Light, Light, Way, and Truth. Paul marvelled in Gal. 2:19-21, “For I, through the [New Testament Covenant] DIED [completely] to the [old ceremonial, ritual, temple] law that I might LIVE to God. [Actually, I died to the religion, culture, beliefs and ceremonies of my inherited religion, because, in Christ, I was spiritually made alive to freely INHERIT a new position in God’s spiritual Kingdom of salvation, redemption (or freedom,) and blessedness. [I already have all of this in Christ now!] I have been crucified with Christ, [as far as all influences of deception, as well as my own sinful thoughts and behaviour are concerned, therefore, that old deceived person from the kingdom of darkness does not live anymore,] because Christ lives in me. The life which I now live in the flesh, [physically and emotionally,] I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness, [salvation, redemption or freedom and blessing] comes through the [the Old Testament, ceremonial law and its generational and other curses,] then Christ has died in vain,” (Gal. 2:18-21.)
CONTINUALLY ‘BINDING’ AND ATTACKING DEMONS IN “SPIRITUAL WARFARE,” SCARING PEOPLE INTO BELIEVING SATAN IS SO VERY POWERFUL?
With all their violent attacks and constant ‘binding’ of the devil, how scared and bound is the devil by now, I wonder?
While we should know that all true believers have Jesus’ authority or “righteousness” to battle and “STAND AGAINST the WILES of the devil,” we should understand what we are actually doing, and why — and most importantly, that Jesus completely conquered Satan and all his demonic armies at Calvary, (Col. 2:11-15.) Because these entities were totally disarmed at Calvary, they only have the power, which us humans allow them to have. Once given the go ahead by their unrepentant human ‘hosts,’ however, they are powerful entities but without physical bodies. Therefore, to do real harm in the physical world, demonic entities have to use the thoughts, (minds,) mouths, hands and feet of human beings, their willing ‘hosts.’
· What does “binding the strong man” really mean? In Mt. 16:18-19, Jesus promised, “On you, Peter, [a little rock of the Great Rock, or a particular member among the members of the body of Jesus Christ,] I will [begin to] build My [spiritual] Kingdom [in the hearts, minds, and lives of all My believers.]” This was fulfilled when Peter, at Pentecost, with the first indwelling of the Holy Spirit under the New Testament Covenant of Christ, was God’s instrument to preach Jesus’ truth to 3,000 souls, who chose to accept Jesus, Acts 2:1-42. “And [as you advance on the kingdom of darkness with My Gospel of Truth, Liberty, and Blessing,] the gates of Hades [the spiritual grave or death] shall not prevail against [you and My other disciples.] I will give you, [as all other true disciples,] the keys, [or Holy Spirit authority] of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” This is not, as the Old and other Apostolic Churches teach, a literal key that you can turn before the faces of non-members and go “Click!” to shut the Kingdom of God for them forever, and visa versa. The footnote in the Spirit Filled Bible, explains, “Rabbinic in imagery, binding and loosing have to do with forbidding or permitting. Jesus empowered His body of believers to continue in the privileged responsibility of leavening the earth with His Kingdom power and provision in Christ. So, if someone is bound by sin, [true disciples] have the authority to “loosen” him by preaching the [full atonement and the full] Gospel of Christ to him, (Rom. 6:14.) If someone should be possessed with a demon [who completely overrides the decisions of the person,] the disciples have the authority (or power,) to forbid [‘or bind’ that spirit to withstand the truth of Jesus]” — and should the person choose to accept the truth, he will be ‘loosened’ to know Jesus, (Mark 3:27; Mt. 12:29; Acts 16:18 — but read this verse in Acts for yourself.) This ‘exorcism’ in Acts 16:18 was the only exorcism recorded after Jesus’ ascension, and it was from an unbelieving slave girl not from a believer! This binding and loosening also pertains to dealing with an unrepentant believer, where, through private confrontation at first, confrontation by one or two witnesses, or if necessary, corporate confrontation, the ‘bound’ or unrepentant sinner might choose to repent and be ‘loosened’ on earth and in heaven to worship God once more, (Mt. 5: 23-24; 18:15-20.)
· The WHOLE armour of God, which Paul described in Eph. 6, must be worn and at all times. We should NEVER be caught without our armour at any time. Just imagine what will happen if the enemy launches a surprise attack on an army camp, to find all the troops naked and unarmed! It will be a massacre. So, the armour of God too, has NOTHING to do with these “spiritual warfare” ministers and their silly ‘quick dress’ rituals before a ‘deliverance’ session. In short, Paul taught us that our armour is actually our own spiritual integrity, or our holy character in Christ.
· Paul revealed the identities and strategies of our real enemies in Eph. 2:1-10; 6:10-18 when he wrote, “You He [has] made alive, who were [once] dead in sins in which you walked according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, [all unrepentant people are controlled by the devil,] among whom, [as unsaved heathens,] we also conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh… For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, [or physical people, who are mere puppets of the devil,] but against… principalities, [evil spiritual princes or high ranking demons, which indwell and use people of similar stature, or governing people in religious and political power,] powers, [evil spirits that control and influence powerful people under the control of spiritual principalities,] rulers of the darkness, [demons that govern specific places and people dedicated to Satan,] spiritual hosts of wickedness in high places, [important, extremely wealthy people, indwelt by very strong dark forces, who execute, distribute and defend evil all over the world.]” We can know for certain that our spiritual battle with darkness is real and dangerous, and usually manifests itself ‘in the flesh’ or physical realm through bad people. Thus, we should always be “submitted to God,” “vigilant, sober,” and on our guard to “bind” or forbid and banish demons as the Spirit leads, and as His Word commands us, (1 Pet. 5:8.)
· However, seeking out and attacking ‘spiritual principalities’ in ‘spiritual warfare’, was NOT what Paul was talking about. Demonic forces are only banished or defeated by the Almighty Name of Jesus, the power of His Holy Spirit, the holy angels, and above else, the truth of His Entire Word. Yes, as led by the Holy Spirit, we have the authority, power and privilege to PRAY against all evil forces and also to forbid them to interfere with our lives and work in Christ. However, when explaining the truth as in declaring the Gospel, we are talking to people while at war with the secret entities that govern their deceived thoughts. Because these spirits cannot operate without their decided consent, we must STAND against the spirits in Jesus’ truth and the rest of the ‘armour of God,’ while dealing with living people; explaining the truth that will set them free if they should choose to accept it. This is how the Holy Spirit uses us to “CAST DOWN” [not ‘cast out!’] vain imaginings and disobedience. When the person’s thoughts are redeemed or delivered through his or her personal acceptance of the Truth, the person is saved, redeemed, and blessed in Christ, not before then. “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set your free,” Jesus said.
GOD’S DEFENSIVE BATTLE VERSUS THEIR OFFENSIVE SPIRITUAL WARFARE
In Eph. 6:10-20, Paul did not teach us to launch attacks against hell while bringing truth against deception of all kinds, because Jesus did not say that we must to “attack the gates of hell.” In Mt. 16:18-19, Jesus said, “I will build [all My sincerely born again believers on Me, the Rock, of which Peter is just a little stone in My spiritual temple inside every true believer.] The gates of Hades, [the grave, or the power of spiritual death, which keeps people in bondage to Satan,] shall not prevail against them, [because] I will give them the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, [My true Gospel and the rest of the truth of My Word, and my authority to preach My truth, which is life,” (Mt. 28:19-20.) In reality, unbelievers and disobedient, deceived believers who are still alive are not in hell but in HADES, or in Satan’s kingdom of spiritual DEATH. Jesus commissioned all His true believers to preach His LIFE to people, to bring them out of spiritual DEATH where Satan keeps them in bondage through deception.
Therefore, Paul actually commanded us to, “Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His [Holy Spirit] might, stand against the devil, [and thus, through God’s truth,] overcome his wiles:” his tricks, deceit, and guile, or cunningness that keep the thoughts of people in bondage to his deception. In fact, this is what I am doing right now by telling you the truth, dear reader. Thus, Paul’s “spiritual warfare” techniques do not nearly resemble the hours long, sweating, screaming attacks on so-called ‘oppressing’ demons in the ‘brains’ or minds of people, and even assaults on people themselves, by violently shaking them, beating them with Bibles, etc. In 2 Cor. Chapter 10, Paul also spoke the same language, stating that our ‘warfare’ is against deceptive arguments, religious pride, unteachable attitudes, and disobedience to Scripture!
Paul actually commanded in Eph. 6:13, “Take up the WHOLE armour of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, [as Scripture and the Holy Spirit commands, just] to stand.” We cannot add stunts and gimmicks to ‘cast the devil out of people.’ This is it; we have done everything Scripture commands. Spiritually, we must now withstand everything which the person, whom we are ministering to, allows the devil to do, knowing that the Holy Spirit will use all that we have done thus far; leaving the ultimate outcome of the spiritual battle in the almighty hands of God Himself, (Eph. 6:18.)
So, we might think, why all the ‘fuss?’ Standing is not that difficult? Well, let us look what we are really up against in this defensive war that intends to flatten us over time if not instantly, and which unfolds against us every day.
· Naturally, we should continue our ‘prayers of faith’ wherever, and for as long as the Holy Spirit leads us to pray, (Jam. 5:16; Eph. 6:18.) In fact, ALL true believers are at constant war with the devil because he is constantly at war with us through numerous strategies and different types of assault. The main battle truly born again believers face, is for the “mind” or rather, the THOUGHTS of humanity — and of course, our own thoughts FIRST. Remember that the enemy always sows doubt, fear, and confusion, which are Trojan horses that can demolish all our standing beliefs if we’re not careful! Constant prayer and supplications (intercession for ourselves and others before the throne of God,) is warfare of the highest kind and should be our lifestyle in Christ even throughout our busy day, as we direct our thoughts in prayer to Him inwardly, not just during ‘our quiet time’ or in ‘battle.’ Someone said of prayer, that it is the ‘breath,’ (air, or life) of our human spirit. A whole day without prayer, is a whole day without a single breath for our human spirit!
· Our personal character and lifestyle in Christ is one of our greatest defences against these evil entities that work through people. This does not refer to a charismatic or brave human character, but to Jesus’ own righteousness, which He bestowed on us by fulfilling the entire Law in our place. Righteousness is not part of a so-called quick-dress ritual before ‘deliverance.’ We are already, constantly in a sinless ‘right standing’ before God’s holy throne by what our Savior and Redeemer has accomplished for us at Calvary. Our ‘righteousness’ or holiness in Christ is a most important spiritual position, which all truly born again believers occupy in the Kingdom of God.
· Similarly, the ‘helmet of salvation’ is not something tangible we can cover our “minds” or thoughts with; it is our personally born again, (through our personal acceptance of Christ and all He did for us,) position in the Kingdom of God.
· Girding your waist with the truth is not a physical thing we can wrap around our ‘armour.’ If we are not prepared to preach the true Gospel as God opens doors and presents opportunities, we are standing bare feet against the enemy, (Eph. 6:15.) Without the willingness to fulfil Jesus’ commission, we cannot GO into all the world to preach the Real Gospel, as, when, and how the Holy Spirit leads. Hence, we will never win any battle for our own, or for another soul.
· As the main characteristics of the devil are lies and deceit, speaking the Truth (as the Spirit of Truth leads, and reminds us of His Truth,) is what keeps our whole armour together, (Jn. 8:44; 16:13.) The enemy’s most dangerous assault is through false dogma; (the twisting, omitting, addition to, and other abuses of God’s Real Word,) and all other lies and deceit. So, a disciple of Christ, (praying ‘in the Spirit’ or as the Spirit leads; fulfilling the commission to preach His True Gospel, and teaching the Truth of His Word where possible,) is at the forefront of this ongoing defensive battle for souls by telling them the WHOLE truth. Additionally, it was with the TRUTH of His Word that Jesus WITHSTOOD (not attacked) Satan in the wilderness, (Mt. 4.) Even when Jesus eventually chased Satan away by name, He used the TRUTH of His Word against him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written… Then the devil left Him…”
· Also, we will never be able to use the ‘sword of the Spirit,’ (the Word of God,) against the enemy, without our symbolic “shield of faith” to ‘quench all the flaming darts’ or lies against God’s Word, other people, and against us personally.
REAL SCRIPTURAL DELIVERANCE VERSUS UNSCRIPTURAL “DELIVERANCE”
It is Scripturally and practically totally impossible that personally born again believers can be possessed by demons, or as they say, “be oppressed” by indwelling demons, which means that they are inhabited by demons, which then supposedly must be “cast out.” Jesus, before Calvary and His ascension, continually delivered His own nation, the Old Hebrews, of demonic possession under the Old Covenant of the Law, which is now euphemized in Christian ‘deliverance’ terms, as ''oppression.''
Here follow truly Scriptural reasons why, under Jesus’ Own, New Testament, Blood-Covenant of Grace, Paul and the other New Testament writers never even suggested that a truly born again believer in Christ can ‘have’ a demon, or that they had to “cast out” demons from the so-called ‘oppressed’ minds, brains, or “souls” of believers!
· True believers were redeemed in full to be born into God’s Kingdom of Light. Notwithstanding countless false doctrines, it is Scriptural that, at the same moment when the believer personally and wholeheartedly accepts Jesus, the person is once and for all, entirely called out of the kingdom of darkness and brought into God’s eternal Kingdom of Light, (Jn. 1:12-13; 1 Pt. 2:9-10; Ex. 20:1.) Paul declared in Gal. 1:4, “…Jesus gave Himself for our sin, [the entire state or position of sin,] that HE might deliver us from this present evil world…” [And then we still want ‘deliverers’ to ‘deliver’ us from demons?] God Himself redeems the true believer by lifting him or her “out of darkness to place him or her into His marvellous Light,” or inside His spiritual position of salvation in Christ in the spiritual Kingdom of God. When moved from darkness into His marvellous light, the believer is completely redeemed or set free from all bondage; redeemed, delivered or released from all and every hold of the evil one, the ruler of the spiritual kingdom of darkness.